Wednesday, July 8, 2020

I Meditate

Meditation is a deliberate practice to disassociate yourself from your thoughts. It took me about 2 years to understand that.

When I first started meditating I thought the goal was not to have any thoughts. I was wrong.

The goal is to watch your thoughts without identifying with them.

f I learn that my neighbor has just bought a new car. Or my coworker made more money than I did, I observe thoughts that pop up in my head. I see them come and go and I notice how they make me feel. I also remind myself these ideas and emotions are not me. If I choose to identify with them, I let these ideas hijack my mind. I let them define me.

I used to ruminate about injustices (either perceived or real) I had in my life and people who caused them. I would get angry and filled with rage as I replayed these situations again and again. When these ruminations happen now, I ask myself if I am being taken for a ride.

I still get angry/mad/jealous/upset, but the intensity of emotions is weaker and its duration is shorter.

No comments:

Post a Comment